Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A post A week - writing issues with the blog and classroom

This may be the best y'all get.

I am trying my best to get motivated, but there's no motivation. I have been at the top of the blogging world and introduced you to new bloggers and have created freebies and put a few things on TPT, but I have no motivation to blog.

You all know that I'm pregnant and the end is near. I am focusing a lot of time on baby and getting ready for baby. But that's not the only reason, I just don't have the drive to write.

I've said this before, but this time it's different..or even worse for lack of a better word.  I just don't understand how y'all do it every day.  I don't understand how I did it every day!

I love all of my blogging friends and have made some wonderful new friends here in my state and even a few from other areas. But I just can't be as productive as I once was.

I feel guilty for it too. I don't know why, but I do. I know many of y'all could care less whether I blog or not and I know there are some who will miss me terribly...right?! =)

I'm not going away for good, I've just made a decision that if anything I will try to post at least once a week. And who knows, maybe that once a week will turn in to 2 times a week and grow from there. But right now if I can just get one post in a week, maybe I won't feel so guilty.

___________________________________

Okay after that gushy moment, I was going to write about how we are in a writing rut in the classroom as well, but I'm working through it.

This group is different. They are very independent. So I've decided to make writing an independent practice. We have been trying to write something everyday. Not even in journal style, but making something and writing about it.

They don't get a prompt, they don't get to ask a friend for help, they don't get to ask me for help. They write what they want about their activity then bring it to me and we conference about their work.  It seems to be working so far. Even though I've only tried it for 3 days. I feel guilty throwing them into it like that, but after my results today, I was pretty impressed.

They really are trying and they might just get it. Now if I can keep up with quick and easy writing lessons then maybe it will come together.

Hopefully they'll even get it together before teacher number two comes in in March February, no maybe March...still not sure when baby Mason is coming. Maybe if I stop stressing over school and blog then we'll actually keep the original due date.

Any of you ever feel stuck with writing?  What have you done?


5 comments:

  1. Laura! First, big hugs. As a mom of four, I want to encourage you to not feel guilty about the blog. For awhile, did it seem like your 'baby"? In some way, you're probably feeling what we all feel when the second baby comes along. :-) A lil bit of misplaced guilt and a knowing that things will never be the same. Change... it's not easy!

    Congratulations! I didn't realize your baby would be here so soon! Enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy.
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, congrats on the baby and I'm so happy that is almost that time where you will get to see and hold that precious little one.

    When it comes to blogging, remember you do this for FUN ! Blogging is not a chore or a mandotory thing. You do what you can, when you want and when you feel is right. So, its okay to sometimes have those "down" times and focus on other stuff. I truly believe you should do what make you content and smile all the time.

    You are entering a life stage that is beautiful with full of joy and lot of smiles. And you should enjoy to its fullest. Everything will have its ups and down. Sometimes that time of rest makes us come up with new and fresh ideas that maybe you wouldnt have come up with if you wouldnt have that to rest.
    I dont think you should feel guilty or push yourself to write at least once a week, if you dont want to. Sometimes a little off and disconnect is needed to enjoy the little things that are right in front of us.

    Again congrats and happhy teaching,
    Vanessa
    Kinderloves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you.. Good to know I'm not the only one! It's hard for me to be school motivated in any way (blog included) when all I can think about is my sweet girl coming soon.. I'm hoping to try harder as well..but we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging is not easy, it is time consuming and there are times in which you do not feel like doing it. The same happens to me very often. I can really understand.

    Best,
    Ramon
    Fonts 4 Teachers
    Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was definitely in a rut with writing in the classroom (and I go through phases all the time w/blogging)...I have really found that going to a Writer's Workshop model has worked for my kids. There are no prompts, just a quick mini-lesson so it might work for your independent kiddos (not sure if you currently do Writer's Workshop or have in the past). I am also trying to motivate my kids with some fun activities (we are writing recipes and our celebration is going to be making smoothies as a class and sharing our writing). I use Deedee Wills/Deanna Jump's W.Workshop units from TpT but you wouldn't have to. I am rambling on...hope this helps!

    Kelly
    Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete