Monday, December 10, 2012

What a difference 5 kids makes

I don't like Mondays.

Do you like Mondays? (probably not)

Well, today is a Monday that I can tolerate. My kiddos have been crazy loco and they seem to just be done with school. They are ready for Christmas and so am I. So we aren't getting along too well.

Every morning I try to have a little chat with God and ask him for patience that I can make it through the day. That I won't raise my voice (even though I usually do), that I won't lose my temper (yep, it happens) and that I can give my kiddos exactly what they need today.

I guess someone was listening and finally gave me a break. I started off my day with 3 kiddos absent. Woot Woot! Don't get me wrong, I love my class they are a great group of kids, but having a small class on a Monday just really gets you going on the right foot. Granted, the 3 that were absent today will have make up testing to do on our last few report card skills, but I can deal.

Then at lunch I had 2 more check out...what what?!!  Are you serious!

So, I am down to 13 kiddos today. We have had the best day ever. My voice has remained nice and calm, my temper has yet to flair once and we are getting A LOT done today.

Another great thing, it's very chilly outside and I'm not one to stand out in the cold while the kiddos run around. So we are had inside play time and it was the quietest play time we've ever had.

What a difference 5 kids makes when they aren't in the room.

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand -- I had 6 out one day last week, and it was so much better. And try to imagine how it is on a regular day with 26!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand, I had two out today but my aide was out too. So 28 K kiddoes and just me...I don't know how we do it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this post because it is REAL!! I too have a relatively small class (19 students) and still relish in the days where 1 or more are absent. It makes a HUGE difference. And I am glad I am not the only one who can admit to asking for patience. We love the kiddos but they can be testing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really good group of kids this year, minus like 4 of them being super talkative and one of them having SERIOUS problems. But for the most part, I am very lucky (our school has a REALLY rough group of kinders this year and I have had 2 special area teachers tell me that my class is the best). HOWEVER, when one or two of my kids are absent, especially if they are in that group of 4, my heart sings for joy and I know that I'm going to have a glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids have been driving CRAZY ever since they came back from Thanksgiving break. I think December should be a no school month. I had 5 kids out sick today and OH MY WORD! I didn't have to make my kids feel bad by telling them that they are giving me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the opposite issue. They start out not there when the bell rings, I have that sigh of "wow" but then they straggle in really late... But yes, this month they are dropping like flies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, thank you for your honesty. I had a rough afternoon and have been beating myself up about it all night.

    Have you ever had a student decide that s/he is the teacher? I am dealing with this problem. Fifteen years in the classroom, I've taught over 400 students, and I am drawing a blank on this one. I have tried all my tricks. It's time for Christmas break, lol!
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete