Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kindergarten Themes

Thursdays are dedicated to the themes/units that are being taught in the classroom.

I think themes are SO important in kindergarten, but are sometimes put on the back burner. This is because of the huge demand on reading and math skills. I try my best to incorporate themes into our daily schedule so that it enhances our reading and math. I'm sure all of you kinder teachers do..right?!

What themes do you do each year? Do you keep the same or do you change it up? Are your themes set by the district or can you do your own?

Our county gives us a pacing guide each year, but we are able to modify. I showed you our curriculum in this post HERE.  I am so lucky that we are able do what we want with our schedule as long as we teach the skills .

This year, I've changed my themes up just a little bit. I've added a couple that I've never done before, but have found TONS of ideas on other blogs and Pinterest and they look like a lot of fun to teach. Here are my themes for the 2012-2013 year.

So what do you think? I'm pretty happy with it. The new themes for me are Monsters, Pirates, Manners and Dinosaurs. This is also the first time that I have combined animals (Farm will have Mammals added to it). I'm also doing a full week of Bears, but for some reason, it got left off my list. This is also the first time that I will be cramming Body/Health/Senses all in one, so that should be interesting.

The pacing for my units are one week each. It's a lot, but we get it done! Now for the organization part.  You all know that I'm a teensy bit obsessed with Pinterest. Okay, maybe more than a teensy bit!
I found this from Mrs. Terhune's First Grade (she is SOOOO much more organized than I will ever be!). Click the picture to go to her site.

I have made some labels to make my own binders this year as I go along. I'm hoping this will help me keep my themes straight. If you are interested, please feel free to click both pics to download the 2 sets. They are big files, so beware.


If you like these awesome! If you are looking for something a little bit smaller, click on Jennifer's button. She's got a freebie with her themes.



13 comments:

  1. Love the labels!! Thanks so much for sharing them & helping me to become organized!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think that I am going to laminate them onto a large manilla envelope. The binders are super cute, but I have space issues in my classroom. :)
    ~Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd thought of that too. I might have to do it that way for space as well.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the themes! I always struggle with finding standards that I can post when teaching themes like dinosaurs, monsters, etc. You teach in TN- do you have any idea?

    And I would love to hear some of your ideas for your TN unit! I want to do a TN unit so bad with my kiddos but not coming up with anything fun/creative for the kids! =)

    Thank you soooo much for sharing this! You are fabulous!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I incorporate math and reading skills into my themes so that's how I pull them together with the standards. For my Tennessee unit, it's at school, but once I get to it I will send you what I have. We have a kindergarten queen in our county who came up with it. It's a little outdated, so I'm thinking about sprucing it up this year =)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up with the blog link up.
    http://wolfelicious.blogspot.com/p/tba.html


    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome list! Your kinders are some lucky kiddos!! I teach 1st and have always wanted to do more with themes in my classroom. Your pacing guide was a really helpful visual of something I have been wanting to set up for myself so thank you for sharing it.

    ❤-Stephanie
    Falling Into First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. These are so great! I am your newest follower! I'm fairly new to blogging (trying to get better at it this summer!) and would love it if you stopped by my blog and followed me!!

    http://adayinbcasfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

    Kristen :)

    ReplyDelete